Burlington Economic Development is an agency of the City of Burlington that exists to promote economic growth in our city. In 2019, Burlington was named by Maclean’s magazine as the number one community in Canada to live in and raise a family. We’re very proud of this, and although we’ve known it for years, we’re thrilled to see Burlington recognized in this way.
What we do at Burlington Economic Development can be summed up in three key areas of focus: attracting companies to locate here, supporting companies to expand here, and encouraging the start-up and growth of new companies. We work closely with local stakeholders to grow and sustain Burlington’s competitive and prosperous community. We work with all levels of government, and act as a liaison with the private sector to advocate and support the growth of our economy.
In 2017, we launched TechPlace, a one stop destination for new and growing technology companies. TechPlace is one of our proudest accomplishments to date. It features almost 10,000 square feet of modern collaboration space where tech companies, investors, and partners collide to nurture and grow innovation and entrepreneurship in Burlington and across the region.
It is a very exciting time at Burlington Economic Development. We are currently leading the development of a new, comprehensive city-wide brand for Burlington. The project is called Burlington One Brand, because our goal is to create one brand that speaks to residents, businesses, city staff and visitors. We are doing this in partnership with our colleagues in the City of Burlington’s Corporate Communications department, as well as with Tourism Burlington. We have also begun implementing a new comprehensive marketing strategy for Burlington Economic Development to ensure we are telling Burlington’s story in the best way possible. We pride ourselves on being an extremely driven, results-oriented team, and we look forward to having you join us.
This is the ideal opportunity for an entry-level marketing extraordinaire who wants to dig their hands in and make an impact and has an interest in digital. We’re looking for someone who isn’t afraid to jump right in, ask questions, and offer ideas. Reporting to the Manager of Marketing and Attraction, you will support the execution of our 2020 Marketing strategy which is focused on strengthening our digital strategy, and supporting on other tactics to promote doing business in Burlington. You will oversee the social media strategy for both Burlington Economic Development and TechPlace, and have the opportunity to hone your skills in content curation. As a team player with excellent attention to detail, you will thrive in managing the creation and distribution of our successful monthly newsletters. You will leverage your strong written communication skills to write media releases. Your enthusiasm and eagerness to learn will make you an excellent asset as you support the development of Burlington’s new brand strategy. If you’re looking for an opportunity to be challenged, work as part of a team, and use creativity to bring ideas to life, this position is for you.
KEY ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Degree associated with Business, Marketing, Communications, or MBA, and/or diploma or post-graduate certificate in a similar area
- Academic and/or work experience in developing communications materials, marketing plans and strategies
· A professional interest in social media as a marketing tool (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
· Professional written communications skills with ability to produce concise and well-written materials
· Strong organization skills with the ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and adapt to changing circumstances
· MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills. Knowledge of Creative Suite, Constant Contact, Hootsuite, and/or WordPress considered an asset.
· Strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
· Self-directed and motivated with an ability to manage priorities and ensure deliverables are met in a timely and professional manner
· Team player, with an enthusiastic and positive attitude
· Creative problem-solver with the ability to think critically and focus on the bigger picture
1. Support the development and implementation of our marketing plan including the management of both the Burlington Economic Development and TechPlace online communications channels.
o Oversee the daily curation and promotion of content on Twitter and LinkedIn
o Collaborate with City communications team and Mayor’s Office to amplify our message
o Lead the creation and distribution of our newsletters
2. Support the Manager of Marketing and Attraction and Coordinator of Marketing and Attraction with the development of key marketing materials:
o Refreshing the Burlington Economic Development website
o Tradeshow collateral and displays
o Public engagement materials
o Other materials as needed
3. Provide research and recommendations for improving the effectiveness of the website, and other communications and marketing efforts.
4. Any other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Undergraduate Degree and/or Post-Graduate Degree in Business, Marketing, Communications, or post graduate certificate in related field (or equivalent experience).
EXPERIENCE: Experience in communications material development and social media management would be great but it’s not required. First and foremost, we’re looking for someone who is enthusiastic, quick on their feet, and above all else passionate about jumpstarting a career in marketing.
NOTE: This position will be funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program and one of the requirements is that applicants must be 18 – 30 years of age.
DURATION: Beginning May 11 – August 28, 2020, for approximately 16 weeks, with potential for contract extension.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: 35-hour work week, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm at our downtown Burlington office. Standard office environment, with some site visits to companies, etc. You may also work out of TechPlace on occasion. Must provide own transportation.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply, please submit a Cover Letter, Resume and a 2-page MAX Writing Sample to email@example.com by midnight March 25, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (so don’t wait until the last minute).
NOTE: Applications that do not contain a writing sample will not be considered.
Thank you for your interest! Please note that we will only be contacting those candidates selected for an interview. NO phone calls please!
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $18.00 /hour