Burlington Economic Development is a non-profit organization established in 1994 to work with the public and private sectors to promote economic growth in Burlington. In partnership with the City of Burlington, Burlington Economic Development works closely with local stakeholders to help companies start-up, locate and grow in Burlington.
Burlington Economic Development’s mandate is to lead, influence and facilitate Burlington’s transformation into a vibrant and economically thriving city. With a Strategic Plan approved in January 2018, Burlington Economic Development is focused on the core objectives of keeping Burlington competitive, attracting and growing innovative companies and developing an attractive 21st century city.
Burlington Economic Development is entering an exciting phase in its development with a new strategic plan approved in 2018 that aims to transform Burlington Economic Development into an organization that leads, influences and facilitates Burlington’s transformation into a vibrant and economically thriving city. Working to support the new City of Burlington Strategic Plan 2015- 40, Burlington Economic Development will be moving forward on a number of new initiatives designed to support the growth and scale up of businesses in Burlington. We are looking for an Analyst to support the analysis of the Burlington and Regional Economy and develop reports that allow fact based discussions to take place in developing and implementing Burlington’s Economic Vision.
KEY ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS ROLE INCLUDE:
- Interest and academic and/or work experience in research methodologies;
- Comfortable analyzing large amounts of data and compiling data from various sources;
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to produce clear and well written reports;
- Understanding of business principles and business planning;
- Proficient using Microsoft Suite including Word, and PowerPoint with strong Excel skills;
- Knowledge of Salesforce software would be an asset;
- Self-directed and motivated, with an ability to manage priorities and ensure deliverables are met in a timely and professional manner;
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines;
- Passionate about problem solving and looking at the bigger picture;
- Devotion to delivering quality work; and
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Supporting the Burlington Economic Development team in economic and policy analysis, the Economic Analyst will:
1. Provide research for the Burlington Economic Development team on real estate, industry, and business trends and strategies, changes in legislation affecting business, demographics of Burlington and surrounding area, government assistance programs available, etc. Ensure this information is available in formats that are easy for others to understand and use in meetings with new, existing and potential businesses.
2. Prepare reports and presentations on policy and economic, business, real-estate trends and issues. Respond to requests for information as needed.
3. Perform a liaison/facilitation role between business and City staff and stakeholders with respect to area based development and employment projects.
4. Work toward the development of policy, plans, programs and projects that support Burlington Economic Development operations and strategic directions.
5. Work with the Committees of Burlington Economic Development in a support role, providing them with research and information on a variety of subject matters relating to business, industry, manufacturing, education, legislation and government agencies and relations.
6. Participate in and support other aspects of Burlington Economic Development’s economic development program, as needed.
7. Develop and track projects using Salesforce software.
8. Work with companies, as required, to complete the above tasks.
9. Support site selection for investment leads.
10. Develop, maintain, assess and analyze information systems and databases related to the Burlington Economic Development’s mission and the City’s employment lands. Assess the economic and fiscal impact of specific development projects and initiatives. This may involve researching best practices, comparative analyses, and working with COB staff to determine the sites and level of development.
11. Assist with the preparation of investment packages to showcase Burlington as the preferred investment location.
12. Support the development and implementation of marketing plans and promotional activities for Burlington Economic Development initiatives and projects.
13. Prepare content for promotional materials for use in showcasing Burlington.
14. Work with companies, as required, to complete the above tasks.
EDUCATION: Recently graduated from or currently working towards an Undergraduate Degree and/or Post-Graduate Degree in Economics, Statistics, Business, Economic Development, Real Estate, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE: Experience in business/economic development/real estate or related business research fields. Project management experience would be an asset.
DURATION: 16 week contract beginning May 11 – August 28, 2020 (approx. 16 weeks).
WORK ENVIRONMENT: 35 hour work week, standard office environment, with some site visits to non-office environments. Must provide own transportation. Some evening and weekend work may be required.
NOTE: This position will be funded through the Canada Summer Jobs Program and one of the requirements is that applicants must be 18 – 30 years of age.
To apply, please submit your Resume and Cover Letter by email to email@example.com by midnight on March 25, 2020.
Thank you for your interest! Please note that we will only be contacting those candidates we select for an interview. NO phone calls please!
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $18.00 /hour