An Official Plan is a statutory document required by the province that describes a City’s land-use strategy over the next 20 years. It is prepared with input from the public and helps to ensure future planning and development will meet the specific needs of your community.
An official plan deals mainly with issues, such as:
- the location and form of new housing, industry, offices and shops
- the anticipated needs for services such as roads, watermains, sewers, parks, schools and community amenities
- where future growth will happen in the city and how to make effective use of available land
- opportunities for community improvement initiatives
- community identity, place-making and urban design